I am able to offer mediation services in any of my practice areas.
Based on my experience of attending a large number of mediations in my (circa) 15 years of practice, I beleive that the qualities required for a succesful mediator are:
- Empathy for the parties positions.
- Lateral thinking (often a dispute can be resolved with solutions that a Court would not be able to order. Additionally, often the parties want something from each other outside of their pleaded case. For example in a neighbour harassment dispute, this may be resolved by one party buying the property of the other).
- A quick an incisive analysis, so that the strengths and weaknesses of the party’s case can be explained concisely.
- Demonstrating that they have reviewed the papers thoroughly.
- The ability to listen.
- The ability to explain the strengths and weakness of a case without appearing to give an opinion or demonstrate bias.
- Ensuring that the parties do not make tactical and insincere offers, which mean that the gap cannot be bridged within the day allocated for mediation.
Our fees are competitive; we will offer a fixed fee upon review of the papers. Our average fee for a multi track case would be £1500.